Someone asked me to describe my workplace and co-workers.
“This is a place of little intelligence that hires people of the same intelligence (with exceptions) to do high level, bulk work with little talent and low pay.”
“Let me give you an example. AT&T hired this company to manage their Internet services. These jobs used to be held by well-paid, well-trained people. It requires at least a basic idea of Cisco networking, mostly at the CCNP level. This company – two weeks before they needed to train the bodies for this job – hastily hired 15 random people. Only two had previous Cisco experience, only one of them (me) with CCNP level knowledge. They put us through a four week training program in which – due to this company’s stingy, cheap nature – we had no working systems to practice on. Until the very last week. We were then put on the floor, and turned loose, with two Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) from AT&T trying to help.
“On top of that, our Director turned out to be a crook. Literally. His investment company went under investigation a month after we started and was found guilty of fraud. The Director disappeared, but we know he quit and ran away to Florida, where he has started ANOTHER INVESTMENT COMPANY for retired people.
“Our Area Manager is a blonde moron. She doesn’t understand what it is we do, and she doesn’t care to learn. Furthermore, she doesn’t manage worth a shit – if something we need is broken, her solution is that we bug another department about it ourselves until it gets fixed. If we need her help, her answer is “You do it.” She does not back us up, or help us get what we need. She does not tackle problems or fools, but avoids them, because she believes in “non-confrontational management.” That is utter bullshit and does nothing but undermine our morale and desire to do a good job.
“So most of us sit around doing nothing. I do 70% of the group’s work, becauseAT&T trusts me to do it for them. The other 30% is done by the other knowledgable guy. The rest of them sit around making trouble. They are literally dumber than a box of rocks. Nice, but dumb. They constantly jack stuff up and take up the SME’s time. I can only stand to be around about four of them, and even they are so retarded that they qualify for the Special Olympics. Honestly, I stand amidst an ocean of morons.
“Our manager takes all my credit, although AT&T knows what’s up. They even ask on calls with the VP, AT&T asks if there is anyone who can take our manager’s place. The VP acts like this is a joke – she has no idea how to deal with the crazy stuff that goes on and our jobs. AT&T is going to leave soon, and take all the jobs with them. And all the money. And no one in upper management seems to care about losing a $500 million a year contract.
“In other words, it’s a sinking ship of fools and idiots. I’m a fool, an idiot. I joined this boat and I’m still standing on the deck. Until I get off this ship, I’m a moron for staying. But everyone else makes me look like Einstein.”