Unless you live under a rock (which some people on the Internet somehow manage to do), you have probably already read about today’s Apple presentation of the all-famous, highly rumored iPad. If not, Gizmodo has plenty (and I mean plenty) of articles discussing it.
– You can get one relatively cheap for an Apple product. Only $30 for unlimited data with no contract.
– It does what the iPhone and iTouch do, including being 3G compatible. Also Bluetooth capable.
– Works with nearly all apps.
– Can play games.
– Very pretty, light and functional.
– No integrated camera. Come on, Apple – you have iPods with cameras. How hard is it to put a camera in that dinky little piece of plastic?
– No unregistered PDF usage. Even with the app from iPhone, the reps are saying no illegally d/led PDFs. People have cracked Kindles to do it, but the iPad won’t let you. Fuck that.
– Can play games, but who the fuck plays a lot of games like Need for Speed on a Mac? Even Gizmodo agrees that game apps for the iPhone and iTouch are fairly niche products. In fact, it doesn’t even look good on the iPad – graphics appear to be very low resolution. And as Cowkitty pointed out – people were more excited to be playing FarmVille on the damn thing than using it for it’s full potential. JFC.
– It doesn’t look very … art friendly. I mean, I expected them to show us a nice stylus-to-screen interface that would allow art people to do amazing things with it. All the art people I know are like, “WTF is this? Not impressed!”
So, yeah. It has the potential to blow PC netbooks out of the water. But it needs to be cheaper still, with more PC functionality and a built-in webcam to allow me to Skype to people while going places. Until then, I’m not spending $850 on a fully-realized iPad that forces me to use iTunes/iBooks to do every little damn thing (I’m exaggerating a little, but I want my illegally d/led PDFs, damn it).
But the Apple fans – those lousy, addicted Apple fans – will buy it at full price, keeping it there for a year or two until its no longer a relevant piece of technology. Fuck Apple fans.